Protesting Your Property Taxes

If you feel your Property assessment was made in error you may file a written protest with the five member Dickinson County Board of Review. The Board operates independently of the assessor's office, and has the power to confirm or to adjust either upward or downward any assessment. Normally your written protest must be filed between April 2nd and April 30th of the year.

This year (2019), because of the disaster declaration for Dickinson County (and other counties), the dates have been extended. The dates for written appeals are now April 2nd to June 5th. The Board of Review is in extended session, May 1st to June 15th.. The extended protest date is not due to damages caused by the disaster, but due to the taxpayer’s possible limited access to their mail, their property etc. This year’s disaster protest form with instructions can be found on the Internet at .

Iowa law about how protests are handled is Section 441.37